Monday, April 25, 2011

Joint Venture!!

We had a delicious lunch Easter Sunday with the girls, son-in-law and KK.  It's so nice to have them prepare items to bring and share with us.  Brooke did an appetizer, Spinach Dip, which was delicious.  Bree made potato salad and brought fresh, sliced strawberries from a farm near her house.  As for me, well... I prepared a smoked oyster ball (a favorite of Harley Man and the girls), green bean casserole, ham, turkey, steamed broccoli and grilled pineapple.  Delicious!!!!

I haven't shared a recipe lately, so I thought you might like the potato salad recipe from Bree's kitchen.  Actually, it's from a friend of ours who graciously shared it with us.  We named the recipe after her since she deserves the credit!!!

Caroline Ray's Potato Salad                                                         
Ingredients:
1/2 of a 5lb bag Red Potatoes
3 hard boiled eggs roughly chopped
1/2 finely chopped onion
3-4 cloves finely chopped garlic
7-8 dill pickle chips finely chopped
1 stalk of celery finely chopped
1 cup of mayo
2 tbsp mustard
salt ; pepper


Directions:

Boil 1/2 the 5lb bag of red potatoes.  Start in cold water and once it comes to a boil it takes about 20-30 minutes.  I tested each one and as they became fork tender, took them out and put them in a bowl of cold water.  This way the smaller ones didn't over cook while we waited for the large ones to cook.  
Once all potatoes are cooked put them in cold water and covered and refrigerated for several hours (over night is best).  Once super cold peel, and dice to bite size pieces (this helps them not be mushy).  I put them back in the fridge once diced while I prepared the rest of the ingredients so they would stay nice and cold.  I also boiled my eggs while potatoes were boiling, cooled and peeled them and put them in fridge to get cold.  Saute onions in a little butter and once they start becoming translucent add garlic and saute for a few more minutes.  Just be careful not to burn the garlic.  Take out of pan and put in dish to cool (stuck these in fridge too).  Finely chop celery and dill pickle.  Put potatoes, egg, sauteed onions and garlic, celery, and dill pickle chips in serving bowl.  Add mayo, mustard, salt and pepper to taste.  It is best made ahead so it can sit in the fridge and let all the flavors mix.

I also had an opportunity to use my new camera!!!  I played with some photo editing and here is one of my favorite shots!  Still have lots to learn!!



No comments: