Friday, December 30, 2011

2012 Is The Year To.......

Yep, that's the word that keeps jumping out at me. I don't do New Year's Resolutions...however, this year I've been noticing some people are choosing one word as their focus for the New Year.  Now, that appeals to me.  Without thinking about it, I guess I chose "Adventure" as my word last year because I was starting a new season of my life. 

This year I've chosen the word "Simplify" because it's time in this season of my life to do just that!!  Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is...organizing and getting rid of stuff.  Living with less things.  One in, two out. When I bring something into my house, I get rid of two things. The normal rule is one in, one out but somehow that never seems to work — things still accumulate. Instead, if I get rid of two things then things will stay simple!!!


Another way to simplify is Start your day with peace. I love this one, because it’s so easy to implement and yet it can have such a powerful effect on my day. When I first rise, I want to do something that is calming and peaceful. That might be prayer, running or walking, having a quiet cup of coffee with a book, watching the sunrise, meditating or yoga … whatever works for the day. It can be 10 minutes or an hour but I want to find some peace in the morning and use it to calm myself throughout the entire day!


Next to simplify my life, Eat only 7 things. I want to continue to strive for a healthful lifestyle. So...to simplify things I will limit myself to non-packaged foods. I'll try to eat only seven things: fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, lean calcium, beans, nuts, good fats. Nothing from a box (this will be a yearlong challenge I know)!!!!! This means I must cook my food!


As the year progresses, I'll add one of two more areas to simplify!!!  For the moment, this is where I'll start.  "Our life is frittered away by detail... Simplify, simplify, simplify! ... Simplicity of life and elevation of purpose." - Henry D. Thoreau


Do you have a word that will describe 2012 for you???

No comments: