Monday, February 21, 2011

On The Side...

I don't know about you....but for me... finding new recipes for side dishes is a task at times!  Seems I always revert back to the ones that are tried and true.  Well, I've found two side dish recipes this week that I want to try.  Both these recipes come from North Carolina church cookbooks.  So... I know they'll be good!!  Maybe I'll take these to the Potluck Dinner this weekend! 



German Potato Salad

Ingredients:
5-6 potatoes, cooked
3 eggs, boiled
1/2 cup celery, diced
2 onions, finely chopped                                                
8 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup vinegar
4 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Slice potatoes.  Add sliced eggs, celery and onion.  Cook bacon until crisp; reserve drippings.  Mix mustard, sugar, flour, vinegar and bacon drippings in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Pour over potatoes.  Add crumbled bacon, parsley; salt and pepper to taste.  Mix lightly to coat potatoes.


Corn Pudding

Ingredients:
4 cups corn, drained
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar                                    
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons green pepper, chopped
2 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine

Directions:
Mix corn, flour, sugar, seasonings and green pepper.  Beat eggs until light.  Add to corn mixture.  Add milk.  Melt butter in 2 quart casserole as you preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Tilt casserole dish to coat sides with butter.  Stir in corn mixture.  Bake 1 hour or until firm in center.


Bon Appétit!!

No comments: