Thursday, March 24, 2011

Because I Care.....

You know how on Facebook we all find "likes" for a cause or activity and we add it to our posts or profiles?  Well, a friend of mine had one on her page this week for a cause and I am so glad she shared it.  It was a "like" for a link to "Start Seeing Motorcycles" http://www.causes.com/causes/273418-start-seeing-motorcycles.  So I ventured over to the site to see what it was.

As I manuevered through the link, I came upon some information near and dear to my heart.  You see, I ride a motorcycle, my husband rides a motorcycle and many of our friends ride motorcycles.  We've experienced a wreck on our motorcycle and we have several friends who've had wrecks on their motorcycles.  Careless you may think....no, not at all.  Most people who ride a motorcycle are overly cautious and very careful so everyone is safe...looking out for those driving around them who may not be as cautious or careful!!  When you ride a motorcycle, the only protection you have is your windshield, your helmet, your apparel and your reaction time!!!  No doors, no big bumpers, no heavy frame...nada.

Since Spring has Sprung, there will be more and more motorcycles on the roads in the days and weeks to come.  So I have a request...please remind everyone you know to "start seeing motorcycles".  I've included information I found on the link I referred to earlier.  Never hurts to share information...it keeps all of us safe out there on the road!!!  Thanks for reading the information and for helping out!!

Please Start Seeing Motorcycles:
There are over 11 million motorcycles registered in the United States and the number continues to grow each year.

•Be aware when making left turns: Most motorcycle accidents occur at intersections, watch for motorcycle riders when making a left turn.

•Cell phones: Be aware that cell phone usage can distract from driving properly and pose a threat to everyone’s safety on the road.

•Blind spots: check blind spots at all times, as motorcyclists are often out of view when cars attempt to make lane changes.

•Weather: When the road is wet or icy, it makes it more difficult for motorcycles to brake and handle their bike, be respectful and give them some space.

•Obscured visibility: Large vehicles such as buses, trucks and vans can make a motorcyclist appear to come out of nowhere. Be aware of the driver’s view from the vehicle.

•Strong winds: Be prepared at all times for a strong gust of wind that can move a motorcyclist unexpectedly into a different lane. This is something that they can sometimes not control.

•Road Conditions: Potholes, obstructions and other items in the street aren’t always a serious concern for drivers, but can cause serious concerns to motorcyclists and may require lane changes or a decrease in speed. Give them as much or more room as a car may need.

•Parked Vehicles: Look for motorcyclists before you open a door, and tell other passengers to do the same.

On behalf of all of us who ride....Thank You!!!!


                          



No comments: