Anyway, I decided we'd do hamburgers on the grill so I pulled out everything I'd need to make some delicious hamburgers. I was on a roll...hamburgers, oven baked french fries, bake beans and of course all the trimmings to put on those burgers. Suddenly it dawned on me....we haven't used that grill in over a year!! Yikes! So outside I went.
Talk about a jolt of reality....have you seen a grill that hasn't been used in a year???? What a mess. Out came the scrub pad, water bucket and oven cleaner. I had to do some major cleaning, after all it's my brilliant idea to grill!! Well, I'm happy to say I was able to do a pretty decent job getting that grill back into shape. Plan A is still a go...we will grill!!! Another dawning moment came....do we have any gas left in the propane tank? Geez...this is getting complicated!!! I decided to forge ahead...hubby can figure that one out!
In the end, hubby was able to grill the hamburgers just fine on that clean grill with plenty of gas in the propane tank!! However; they weren't the prettiest hamburgers...I should have sprayed some PAM on those racks after I cleaned them!! My bad! But all's well that ends well...the hamburgers were delicious. I can't wait to grill again...hope hubby is up to lots of grilling in the months to come!!
By the way...these weren't your ordinary hamburgers...nope, these were Skeen Burgers!! There use to be a restaurant in Thomasville, NC years ago that had the absolute best hamburgers around (so I've been told). The "Morning Glory" (I think that was the name) was owned by the Skeen family and people begged for the recipe of these hamburgers. Apparently, over time, the Skeen family finally shared the recipe and it's been passed around through the years in local church cookbooks since the "Morning Glory" has long since closed.
My hubby remembers eating at that diner and so years ago we found the recipe and that's the only hamburger recipe we've used. It has some strange ingredients...but we think the outcome justifies those strange ingredients!! Maybe you'll try the recipe to see for yourself.
Happy Grilling!! (Be sure to check out your grill.... :)
Bon Appétit!!

Skeen Burgers
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/3 cup crushed Ritz Crackers
1/3 cup applesauce
½ teaspoon Accent
½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
½-1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ package of dry onion soup mix
Dash of salt
Directions:
*Best if mixed a day ahead *. Mix all ingredients in large bowl using hands. Pat out into generous patties-not too thick because burgers will plump up. Cook on grill.
*Note: recipe can be doubled or tripled and it freezes well*



No comments:
Post a Comment