Wednesday, January 12, 2011

If You Give A Child A Book...

When I was growing up reading was a very important part of my life.  I became hooked on tall tales, comic books and Nancy Drew books.  I was one of those readers who would take a flashlight with me to bed so I could read "under the covers" after the lights were turned out for the night!!  I drove my mom crazy!! LOL!!!!!
My greatest delight as a child came when I was allowed to become a member of a book club and I could order books that were delivered to my house!  Today I still delight in being able to order books online and have them delivered to my home.  My love of reading was developed in those early years and I believe all children can become "lovers of books" with help.  It's a matter of finding that "switch"(one book) that turns on the flashlight for them.
With that thought in mind, I'd like to recommend some books to add to your child's book basket.  Reading aloud to children is the most valuable time you can spend with them.  Reading aloud opens new doors, transforms children into a character, transports them to a different time/place, sparks their imagination and builds a foundation for them to stand on. 
So grab a children's book, read it, then share it with your favorite child.  I promise you won't be disappointed!!!  So....


IF YOU GIVE A CHILD A BOOK....


Woolbur-Leslie Helakoski
Woolbur is not like other sheep. He hangs out with wild dogs, cards his own wool to avoid the shearing barn, and even dyes his wool blue. "Don't worry!" says Grandpaa when Maa and Paa fret that Woolbur is different. But when they tell their son to follow the flock, the opposite happens—the flock follows him! Soon everyone is copying his wild hairstyles and taking turns on the spinning wheel. Leave it to Woolbur to find a new way to step ahead of the herd.   A great book for anyone who's felt different (that's all of us)!
Make a Woolbur mask: http://www.helakoskibooks.com/masks.htm




 Big Chickens-Leslie Helakoski
Story of four frightened fowls who become startled when they discover
a wolf sneaking around the chicken coop.  Their journey to hide from the wolf places them in all kinds of perilous situations that cause fear and commotion in the bashful brood.  It's only when they are thrust into these dangers that they find there is really nothing to fear.
Go on a chicken walk: http://www.helakoskibooks.com/sing.htm






The Other Side-Jacqueline Woodson
The story about two little girls who are growing up in a small town in
the 1950's. One black, one white. The town is segregated by a wooden fence to separate the two races. Clover has been raised to fear the other side; Annie was not afraid, she was just told not to cross the fence. It is the way it has always been. Innocent, childhood curiosity begins to bring the two girls together. Once they climb up on the fence, they begin to see the world in a whole new way. This story is told through a child's eyes, about how two young girls became friends despite the cultural barrier of the time.
Jacqueline Woodson's website for more of her books: http://www.jacquelinewoodson.com/pb.shtml

Get Busy, Beaver-Carolyn Crimi
The story of a beaver family in a hurry to build their dam bigger and better than their neighbors.  The only problem is Thelonious, who spends his days daydreaming instead of helping out his family.  Distracted by a cloud that looks like a flower, leaves that swirl and twirl in circles on the water, stars that blink and fireflies that wink; Thelonious stays busy, but not on doing the work that is needed to get the family’s dam built, quickly.  He moves slow, taking time to watch, listen and smell until an idea so grand comes to him that he can’t help but get to work on it.

No comments: